Monday, May 4, 2009

Who thought this was a good idea?

I don't know why I decided that a master's degree was necessary in life. All I have to show for it thus far is a year of debt (not a small amount), a year behind in making money at a salary job, and mounting insecurity and self-doubt as I await my grade for the comprehensive exam. It's a horrific exam where they ask you to compile at least a month's worth of work and about 50 pages of information into 25 pages and 6 days of work. I think the directors of the program are just sitting in their offices this week going, "Haha, suckers. See if you can beat this." For some degree concentrations, this may be practical, but for design, it's just plain mean. After you have answered all of the questions, if you're concise, you're left with about 8 pages to dedicate to your design. And haven't we learned that designs are evolving - a process involving making a design, getting critiqued, re-thinking, and redesigning and then starting the process all over again. There is no time for that in the comp. You get one shot at a design and if it sucks, (which I don't see how it couldn't on your first shot), you're forced to try to defend it in front of a panel that is expecting a good design rather than thinking about the unreasonable time and space constraints. Thanks USC, you're right, this has been a "captone experience." One I will always think back on with great distain.

I'll let you know next Tuesday if I passed.

No comments: