Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Do you have a second to save the planet?

I hear something to this effect almost every day. Why is it that when people want money from you - and for very good causes - they phrase it that way? I mean it's brilliant. On Larchmont Boulevard where I go often to run errands, there are always people there collecting money for homeless shelters and homeless children programs.

One dude was really cool and I had just spent $4 on my coffee from Peets so I felt like I might as well talk to him. I ended up making a $20 donation to some homeless outreach program. It's fine, I'd rather donate to that than give money to panhandlers. But then literally the next day, I was walking down that same stretch of street (they ALWAYS hang out right by Crumbs so they can ambush you right when you're at the most vulnerable point of your sugar coma and/or guilt for spending $3.50 on a cupcake) and some other girl asked me to donate to another homeless thing. I very nicely told her, "Sorry, I just donated to a guy yesterday for a similar program." She shouted after me, "But this one is for homeless CHILDREN!" It doesn't change the fact that I can't give everyone with a worthy cause $20 every time they ask. It's not personal. And I think it's great that they are doing it, but the way these people ask, you are forced to sound like a horrible person when you decline.

Yesterday on campus, the Greenpeace guy asked, and I quote, "Do you have a second for the environment?" Of course I have a second and of course I do care about the environment, but this isn't going to take just a second and I don't want to sign up to have you take x amount of dollars out of my bank account every month. I looked at him and actually laughed when I said no. Because there is no way to say no without it sounding rediculous. But he and I both knew he set me up. That's how they get you.

No comments: